Let’s be honest – not all online degrees are created equal. Some are much more useful than others. History, for example, is a great general subject to have on your resume. It’s a very solid foundation for future employment. It also doesn’t hurt that history is often used as a measuring stick for the quality of an online education.
On the other hand, a degree in business administration will only get you so far. Even if you do end up in a corporate environment, you will most likely have to take on more responsibility than what a BA allows. A course in human resources could also be a good choice, as long as you apply yourself and don’t just take the easy way out. Learning to write well is also extremely helpful, as many jobs require at least some degree of proficiency in English.
So, what level writing is this? We analyzed LinkedIn’s massive database to find the perfect degrees for the job search. Using various metrics like the average salary, % of people with a given degree who found work, and the job outlook for various majors, we were able to come up with an ideal major that suits every person’s needs. Let’s take a look!
Most Rewarding Online Major
Perhaps the most rewarding major is communication. Not only does it teach you to write well, but it also allows you to do so for the public. Even if you don’t end up pursuing a career in journalism, you will be able to use your skills to effectively communicate with others. And what’s more, unlike some other majors, communication is a well-rounded subject that teaches you to think critically and analyze information in an objective manner. It also helps that almost any job in the field requires some level of communication.
Not only that, but according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs in information management and analysis are projected to grow by 17% from 2020 to 2026.
Most Promising Career Option
With all of the job uncertainty in the world, it’s understandable that you might be searching for a career that offers you security. While a degree in business administration isn’t a bad idea, it might not be the best choice if you want to actually be able to call yourself an admin. Those in human resources are similarly vulnerable, especially now that the world is slowly returning to some semblance of order. If you do end up in that field, you are more likely to find employment, as many businesses are beginning to see the value in having an HR department. However, if you want to actually be able to use your skills, opt for something more practical, like nursing or medical assisting.
In order to find the best online major for your needs, it is important to think about what you are looking for in terms of employment. There are a number of different metrics that you should consider, such as the average salary for graduates with a given major, the job prospects for graduates with a given major, and the types of positions that are available with a given major.
The Perfect Combination
If you’re looking for the perfect combination of security and rewarding work, you should consider studying information management and analysis. Not only does it provide you with the ability to track and analyze data, but it also offers you the opportunity to practice your critical thinking skills, ultimately leading to better problem solving. With the world shifting to a knowledge-based economy, having the ability to analyze data and find answers is highly desirable.
Why Is Online Education On the Rise?
The demand for online education is on the rise, and here’s why:
- More and more people are seeking to improve their job prospects. With the world shifting to a knowledge-based economy, having the ability to analyze data and find answers is highly desirable.
- The internet makes it much easier to access educational material. If you want to learn something new, all you need to do is look up the information you need via a search engine.
- Traditional brick-and-mortar education is becoming more and more expensive. Plus, you have to travel to and from school, which isn’t feasible for everyone. Online education allows you to learn at your own pace, which is more convenient for busy people like you and me.
- The competition for educational material is incredibly low, thanks to the internet. If someone wants to create a course on how to bake a pie, they can easily do so; however, finding the perfect course for you might be a bit more difficult. With so much competition, the price will far outweigh any perceived benefit, ensuring that you actually earn what you pay for.
- The number of jobs that require a specific degree is on the rise, especially in the tech sphere, making a degree in computer science increasingly attractive.
- A degree in media and communication improves your life chances. Not only does it give you the option to become a journalist, but it also allows you to effectively communicate with others, speaking on behalf of your degree.’
Above all else, consider the type of work you are looking for. Are you looking to become a writer for a news publication? Perhaps you would like to contribute to a blog that focuses on politics? Or do you want to start your own business and need an HR department to help you run it? These are all important questions that you need to ask yourself before making any major plans.