With the development of the Internet, almost every aspect of life has changed. Now, instead of searching for information stored on paper, you can often find what you’re looking for instantly. This has made the world of research much simpler, but it has also created new challenges. For example, often you’ll need someone to help you use the many tools and resources available online to conduct your research. This can be difficult if you don’t know how to use these tools and resources effectively. In this article, we will discuss some of the challenges that students face when utilizing online databases (also known as online information resources, research databases, etc.) and suggest solutions for each one.
How Do I Use These Online Databases When Writing My Paper?
You’ve probably heard of plagiarism, and you may even do it yourself without even realizing it. For example, when you’re searching for information on a particular topic, you may find a website that provides excellent information but uses information or words directly from other sources without giving proper attribution. When you copy and paste information into your own paper, you’re essentially cheating because you’re not adding your own original thought to the mix. Plagiarism is a serious offense that can result in you losing a good grade in the process. To prevent this from happening, there’s a simple solution – don’t copy and paste. Instead, use appropriate citations when you’re using any information from a public domain source (such as a government website).
Why Are Online Databases So Popular?
It would be a missed opportunity if we didn’t mention the most popular reason for using online databases. After all, when you need information, you usually end up going online anyway. Let’s take a look at the benefits of using online databases when writing a paper:
- There are many databases available to students that can increase their research productivity.
- It’s easy to navigate through different databases and find exactly what you need.
- The information is often stored in a user-friendly way, making it much easier to understand.
- Online databases make doing research much simpler because they provide the sources and tools you need in one place.
- Online databases can be accessed from any device, including mobile phones, which means you can access them even when you’re away from your desk.
- Online databases make doing research much easier because you don’t have to run back and forth to different websites to complete a single task. Instead, you can stay focused on the task at hand.
- If you become familiar with using a few sources, you can easily find the information you need when you want it. Doing a little bit of research now and again saves you both time and effort in the long run.
Which Type Of Database Should I Use?
When planning your paper, it’s important to consider which type of database you’ll need to use for the project. There are several different types of databases, each with their own unique features and advantages. Depending on your needs and the type of paper you’re writing, you may find one that fits the bill perfectly. Let’s take a look at the most popular types of databases and the roles they play in academia:
- Relational Databases: These types of databases organize information into tables and provide a structure to your data. For example, a relational database platform might have a table named “People”, which contains columns for first name, last name, and email. When you enter a person’s first name, last name, and email into the database, you can easily retrieve all three pieces of information at once. This type of database is usually compatible with Microsoft Excel and Word, making it easy to move around in Microsoft Word and access the information you need. Some popular relational databases include Microsoft Access, MySQL, and Oracle.
- Multi-User Databases: These types of databases allow for multiple users and groups to log in and access the information stored on the server. If you have several people in your group working on the project, you can set up a multi-user database so that each person can have their own login and can log in and out of the system as needed. Some popular examples of multi-user databases include PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, and Oracle.
- Document-Based Databases: These types of databases allow you to organize your information into any type of file or document. There are two types of document-based databases – open-source and proprietary. Open-source document-based databases are free and very easy to use, but if you want to be able to edit or create new documents with the database, you will need to register with the company that owns the database to have the right to do so. Some popular open-source document database platforms include LibreOffice and Google Docs.
- NoSQL Databases: These types of databases don’t require you to define the structure of your data before you start entering information. This makes it much easier to enter data because you don’t have to worry about whether or not the information you’re entering will fit the way the database is set up. There are several different types of NoSQL databases, with each one optimized for a particular use case. You can use NoSQL databases with your paper as long as you’re not looking for specific formatting requirements (such as the Excel or Word document requirement for the relational databases). Some popular NoSQL databases include MongoDB, Redis, and CouchDB.
- Cloud-Based Databases: These types of databases are maintained and operated from a remote server that you access via the Internet. You can use a database platform like MongoDB to store your paper in the cloud, meaning your information is stored on a remote server and you can access it from any device. This makes it much easier to access your paper from anywhere at any time. Some cloud-based databases are free while others have a monthly subscription fee. If you plan to use a cloud-based database, make sure you’ve considered the cost/benefit.
When choosing a database to use for your project, it’s important to consider a few things: