If you’re an experienced writer who can produce quality content that inspires engagement, then you may be wondering about the possibility of getting paid to write for select publications or websites. Perhaps you’ve even considered pursuing freelance writing as a side gig and figured it’s about time you explore the world of alternative income opportunities.
The good news is there are numerous ways to make a solid living as a freelance writer in the United States, and the process can be as easy as making a few phone calls. So before you begin your journey, it’s important to note a few things.
The Gig Is Out There
It’s fair to say the gig is out there, and it’s one you may want to consider pursuing if you meet the right qualifications. If you’re looking to make extra money on the side, then exploring opportunities where you can make the most impact is the key to successful freelance writing.
To get started, conduct a quick internet search for ‘freelance writing’ and you’ll be presented with dozens – perhaps hundreds – of opportunities. However, it’s not necessary to look far as there are several major online marketplaces where writers can connect with publishers and companies seeking content for their products.
When you’re first considering pursuing a gig as a freelance writer, the very first thing you may want to do is figure out how much you’ll need to make it worth your while. Your first port of call should be your local bank, which can provide you with an estimate of how much money you may need to set up bank accounts in foreign currencies and how much you’ll need to set aside for living costs.
When you’ve established yourself as a valued member of the community, freelancing can become a steady, reliable source of income. Start by taking a look at available opportunities and determine which ones feel right for you.
A great place to begin is the Online Writing Jobs board on Writers’ Market where you can connect with potential clients and earn a steady stream of freelance income. You may also want to try out Fiverr, where you can offer your services as a word processor, content creator, or copywriter for five dollars per piece. When you reach a certain threshold, the freelancing platform will pass on a portion of the earnings to you.
It’s important to note that while making money online as a freelance writer is relatively simple, establishing yourself as a trusted member of the community and earning a sustainable stream of income may not be. You’ll have to consider filing tax returns in every state in which you carry out your freelance activities.
In some states, such as California, you may have to register as a freelancer even if you’ve established yourself as a trusted member of the community in other states. The registration process is usually quite simple and can be done online. However, you should be aware that some states, such as California, require you to file a California Franchise Tax Return as a freelancer even if you’re not registered in that state.
If you’re seeking a steady and reliable stream of income, then the freelance career path may be the right fit for you. If you’re looking to grow your knowledge and gain experience, then consider undertaking some of the following courses:
- Copywriting: If you’re seeking to establish yourself as a respected member of the community, then consider pursuing a career as a copywriter where you can develop and polish promotional material such as press releases, blog posts, and ad copy.
- Content Creation: If you have a natural talent for creating engaging and informative content, then consider pursuing a career as a content creator where you can develop and express yourself through written and digital media.
- Translation: If you’re seeking to develop your foreign language skills, then consider pursuing a career as a proofreader or translator where you can exercise your language abilities and gain experience reading and editing material in your target language.
- Web Design: If you have a natural flair for web design and digital marketing, then consider pursuing a career as a web designer where you can exercise your artistic talents and make a good living.
- Public Relations: If you have a proven record of building and maintaining strong relationships with industry leaders and executives, then consider pursuing a career in public relations as a trusted professional communicator.
The Bottom Line
Getting paid to write articles is a great way to make a steady living, and it can be a relatively simple process when you know where to look. Simply conduct a quick internet search for ‘freelance writing’ and you’ll be presented with dozens – perhaps hundreds – of opportunities. However, it’s not necessary to look far as there are several major online marketplaces where writers can connect with publishers and companies seeking content for their products. The important thing is to find a way to make money online from a source you feel comfortable and confident in.